Okay, quick update. I know its been a while since my last post but
honestly with the cold/hot/rainy weather we've had, growing veggies has
basically been a disaster. However, about May 18th, thinks started to
look up and although that's way late in the season to get started, so
far, what I've planted has been catching up. All, except my Peppers.
For
some reason, they appear to be in shock... I am hoping this week of HOT
(90+) weather, will be just the kick in the butt they need to get
going. I've gotten some Romas and Cherry tomatoes (a total in 10 so far)
with so much more coming on the Cherry tomatoes. The 3 Romas that
ripened were delicious and I used them the same day they were picked
(makes the farmer in me go: woot! woot!).
But, those damn pepper
plants are still small and shrunken (they were hit multiple times with
30+ degree weather) and there is one very small (pinkie size) poblano
that is hanging off the side of the 6 inch plant (sad, just sad). I will
pick it this weekend just to get something from that side of my garden.
Potatoes
appear to be growing well. Both the Yukon and Blue Adirondacks have
flowered but I won't know how much I've yielded until next month. I am
hoping the potatoes does well, I'd like them to become a staple in my
garden. I am growing them in black trash containers (33gal). If they
grow well this year I will do them again next year.
The Shallots
look good and I've dedicated an entire patch for these babies. I love
shallots so I am hoping for a bumper crop. I'm also growing carrots
this year, something I didn't get a chance to do last year and they are
finally shooting up.
The herbs are growing like crazy, the Thai
basil is exploding but
delicious! I've had to give some to my neighbors I've got so much... It
also gets them interested in gardening. I've had two new "recruits"
this year (probably tired of hearing me speak about my garden). I
assisted them in clearing the land and starting their patch for veggies.
Go Farmers!!
Next big project for the garden, is setting up my
garage as a cool, dry place for my veggies to cure. Which should be fun
since its jammed pack with junk! Could you hear the sarcasm in that last
statement? Uh yeah... More pictures on the way and maybe even a youtube
video.
I will keep you updated.
Ciao!
No comments:
Post a Comment