Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Meyer Lemon Tree...


 This week, in NEWS YOU CAN USE, it’s all about the Meyer Lemon tree. Above are some YouTube videos about the Meyer lemon. I have two and they fruit year-round and are a lot larger and stay fresh a lot longer than the store bought kind (and have you seen how much they cost?). Their blossoms are extremely fragrant and keep my backyard smelling lemony fresh.  
They are grown in containers allowing me to control how big they grow and they are easily transported in and out of the house. I usually take them outside after the last freeze (around March) and over-winter them in the garage. They continue to bloom and fruit if I keep them in the house.
Some of the videos above, discuss growing a lemon tree from seed. Well, I am just not that patient...
It can take up to ten years before the first fruit is realized. Save yourself some time, you can easily purchase a small mature tree and with a small amount of knowhow, (like watch these videos), you can have delicious fruit that same year.
They can be purchased from a nursery but inexpensive lemon trees are available at your local hardware or garden store (i.e. Home Depot or Lowes).
So, if you use lemons by the ton, or just want to, these inexpensive fruit trees start bearing fruit and saving you money right away.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment