Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas dinner was a success...

Christmas dinner was  a success, not because the family was on their best behavior [cuz, they weren't], nor were they helpful in any way, share or form [cuz, they weren't] but because nothing was burned, everyone ate at least twice and there are plenty of leftovers.


What I am getting at, is that I hate cooking! Oh no, its not that its just the drudgery of cooking or because I am burned out and have gone thru my libraries of recipes; its because cooking and I are NOT sympatico!

No really, I suck at it and truly have been known to burn water... [really, I'm not joking]. And, I find it to be the most nauseating task in my day, next to grocery shopping... Don't get me wrong, I love to eat... Eating is NOT a problem for me [as my hips can attest]. It's the act of cooking and paying attention to what's cooking, and the possible fire damage from these attempts, that I find it to be a terrible drain on my time and energy. However, purchasing a meal already cooked (aka: takeout) is a much more natural activity to my thinking.

But here's the rub, I have a 13 year old who loves to eat as well. And, I am afraid she was using chopsticks long before she was ever using a fork. She's an extremely active and healthy child. She has always been at the top of the scale as far as height and weight are concerned but only because she has a very tall father. Otherwise, she is a strong, happy, healthy kid who just so happened to be raised on takeout. Does this make me a bad mother? I'm not sure... There have been many attempts at making her a meal. It's not like I haven't tried, but these just usually led to a quick trip to China Star and  BAM!, dinner is served! I made the effort, I picked it up instead of delivery...

No comments:

Post a Comment